In couples therapy (also called couples counseling, relationship counseling, or marital counseling), two individuals involved in a romantic relationship meet with a trained therapist to gain increased understanding of their relational patterns, resolve conflict, improve communication, and enhance satisfaction within the relationship. A central focus is often on helping each partner more clearly communicate their needs and emotional experience within the relationship in order to foster understanding, empathy, and a deeper connection.
Couples seek relationship counseling for a wide variety of reasons, including:
- Improving communication
- Enhancing conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Fostering deeper connection and intimacy
- Feeling “stuck” in negative or hurtful relational patterns
- Addressing sexual difficulties
- Preparing or managing transitions within the relationship (e.g., marriage, moving in together, birth of child, children moving out of house)
- Deciding whether they would like to stay together or separate
- If deciding to separate, addressing how to do this in a way that reduces negative consequences to each partner and others (e.g., children)
Our therapists are dedicated to helping you identify and work towards your relationship goals. If you are interested in scheduling an initial couples counseling appointment, please call us at (515) 292-9251 or fill out the contact form here.
3510 Lincoln Way, Suite 300, Ames, IA 50014 | Phone: (515) 292-9251 | Fax: (844) 895-6179 | firstname.lastname@example.org